What is Heart Failure (HF)?
Heart failure or HF means that your heart is failing to pump as efficiently as it should in order to supply the body with the oxygen and nutrients that it needs.
HFrEF (Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction) means that the bottom left chamber of the heart which sends the blood around the body is failing to pump effectively.
HFpEF (Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction) means that the heart is failing to fill efficiently therefore it fails to send enough blood to meet the body’s needs.
What are the Common Symptoms of Heart Failure (HF)?
Breathless upon activity or waking during the night breathless
Swelling in feet, ankles,
legs or tummy
What are the Common Causes of Heart Failure (HF)?
Excess alcohol intake
Recreational drug use
Facts & Figures
Over 900,000 people are affected by Heart Failure (HF) in the UK1
of hospitalisation in people 65 years or older in the UK2
Costs the NHS
over £2 billion
One in five people will deal with heart failure sometime in their life4
Worse prognosis than most forms of common cancers5
1. National Heart Failure Audit 2015/2016 NICOR and the British Society of Heart Failure, July 2017. Available at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/nicor/audits/heartfailure/reports
2. NICE Quality Standards Acute Heart Failure (QS103). Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs103
3. Cook.C. et al (2014) The Global Economic Burden of Heart Failure International Journal of Cardiology 171(3). Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24398230
4. Anh L. Bui et al (2011) Epidemiology & Risk Profile of Heart Failure Nature Reviews Cardiology 8 30-41
5. Mamas.A. (2017) Do Patients Have Worse Outcomes in Heart Failure Than Cancer, European Journal of Heart Failure 19 1095-1104
6. National Heart Failure Audit 2015/2016 NICOR and the British Society of Heart Failure, July 2017. Available at: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/nicor/audits/heartfailure/reports
7. The Development and Impact of the BHF and Big Lottery Fund Heart Failure Specialist Nurse Services in England: Final Report, University of York, April 2008. Available at: https://www.bhf. org.uk/publications/about-bhf/g234-heart-failure-nurse-services-in-england—full-final-report-2008
8. NICE (2010) Chronic Heart Failure in Adults: Management (CG108). Available: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg108
British Society of Heart Failure website – www.bsh.org.uk